Friday, March 16, 2007

Literature Circle #2- New Critic

For our Literature Circle #2, I was received the job of the New Critic.
Here are some critical passages that i thought in my mind were pretty important to me.

" I pictured myself a ghost: bones and teeth. Rachel a ghost with long white hair; Adah a silent, staring ghost. Ruth May, a tree climbing ghost, a sqeeze hand on your arm. My father was not a ghost; he was God with his back turned, hands clapsed behind him and fierce eyes on the clouds. God had turned his back and was walking away(310)."

" When I want to take God at his word exactly, i take a peek out the window at His Creation. Beacause that, darling, he makes fresh for us every day without a lot of dubious middle managers(248)."

" I don't think Dad ever forgave me, later on, for becoming a free Will Baptist. He failed to see why anyone would need more bluster and testimony about God's plan than what he found, for example, within the fine-veined world of an eyeball. That, and a good chicken dinner on Sundays. Dad drank and cursed some but not in anyway that mattered."

These passages seemed really important to me because it felt that all 3 of these passage had to do with some part of the conflict in this section of this story.

No comments: